Bibingka Malagkit (Rice Cake with Coconut Caramel Top) is a traditional Filipino dessert made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and brown sugar.
You can always make Bibingka Malagkit the traditional way, but I find this recipe quick and easy with the same result as the traditional. Cooking the glutinous rice in rice cooker makes it so convenient, then later add the coconut sugar mixture for flavour. Don’t forget to make the coconut caramel top, because that’s what makes Bibingka so sweet and delicious.
Bibingka Malagkit Recipe
FOR THE RICE CAKE:
500 grams of glutinous rice
250 grams of sugar
100 ml of coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE CARAMEL TOP:
100 ml of coconut milk
200 grams of brown sugar
How to Make Bibingkang Malagkit (Rice Cake with Coconut Caramel on Top?
1. MAKE RICE CAKES: Wash glutinous rice twice with water.Add the same amount of water to the glutinous rice. Cook it in the rice cooker or in a standard pot, as the regular rice.
2. MAKE COCONUT SYRUP: In a non-stick pan, pour in coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Boil in medium-high heat until thick and bubbly. At this stage, add the cooked glutinous rice into the coconut syrup. Mix well until combined. Place in a greased baking pan, lined with banana leaf, glad wrap, or parchment paper.
3. MAKE COCONUT CARAMEL SAUCE: In another non-stick pan, pour in coconut milk and brown sugar. Boil in medium-high heat until thick and bubbly, like a caramel sauce. Pour in the sauce to the prepared pan with rice cake. Flatten the top.
4. In a preheated oven of 270 degrees F or 130 degrees C, bake the rice cake for 25 minutes. Cool it completely before serving.
Serve and enjoy this Bibingka Malagkit (Rice Cake with Coconut Caramel Top) with family and friends!
- I like to cook glutinous rice in water and finish it off in coconut milk and sugar mixture. It is easier that way. I found it tricky to cook glutinous rice with coconut milk – it takes time and sometimes I end up with uncooked rice. Cooking the glutinous rice in the rice cooker gives me a perfectly cooked sticky rice.
- Salt helps balance the sweetness and richness of the rice cake.
- Feel free to adjust the sweetness of the caramel sauce by adding less sugar.
Did you make this Bibingka Malagkit (Coconut Caramel Top)? Please leave a comment below.