My kids have been craving for something sweet, and they yelled “doughnuts!” They don’t care if it’s from Dunkin’ Donuts, Krispy Kreme or even store-bought doughnuts… they just want doughnuts, period!!! But since we are in a lockdown and stores are closed, we opted to make our own Strawberry Filled Doughnuts at home.
This doughnut is a bit more rich and buttery. It is more decadent because of the extra butter and yolks. It stays moist for days! But I don’t think these doughnuts will last for days in my house though. The strawberry jam and the buttery doughnuts are just perfect for each other.
Strawberry Filled Doughnuts Recipe
1 1/4 cups milk
2 1/4 teaspoon (one package) active dry yeast
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tsp for activating the yeast
1 teaspoon salt
4 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
2 quarts of oil for frying
FOR STRAWBERRY JAM:
1 quart (16oz) strawberries, hulled and quartered
1/2 cup sugar pinch of salt
4 teaspoon cornstarch 2 tsp. water
1 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
How to Make Strawberry Filled Doughnuts?
1. MAKE DOUGH: To activate the yeast, warm milk to about 108-112F. Sprinkle over the yeast and 1 tsp. of sugar. Stir lightly to combine. Let it sit for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is foamy.
2. Using a stand mixer with a dough hook attached, beat the eggs, butter, sugar and salt and yeast mixture. Add half of the flour (2 cups plus 2 Tbsp.), 2 tsp. of sugar and salt. Knead over low speed for about 2-3 minutes or until the ingredients are well combined.
3. Gradually add the rest of the flour into the dough. Add additional flour if needed, until dough is soft, smooth and shiny and pulls away from dough hook. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer dough to a large greased bowl. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or glad wrap and let it rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume. (In colder countries, you can place the dough inside of a warm, turned-off oven (90F).
5. Transfer dough to a light flour surface. Roll the dough to about ½ to ¾ inch thickness. Cut into rounds using 3½ inch dough cutter, dipped in flour. Reroll scraps once. Place cut the dough in a parchment paper-lined sheet tray and cover with a clean towel. Allow it to rise in a warm area for about 40-50 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
6. MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM: While the dough is rising, let’s make the strawberry jam. In a nonstick pan, add strawberries, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes in medium heat. Jam has to be thickened and strawberries have to be very soft. You can add a cornstarch slurry (4 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 4 tsp. water) to thicken jam further. Stir to combine and gently boil for 2 minutes. In this stage, transfer the jam into a food processor and blend until smooth. Let it cool and stir in lemon juice to taste.
7. Pour oil in a pan or pot, about 4 inches deep. Heat to 350F or 180C. Fry doughnuts in batches about 1-2 minutes or until browned. Flip the doughnut and cook the other side for about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Toss and coat the doughnuts in sugar while still warm.
8. Using a chopstick or piping tip, puncture each doughnut through the centre horizontally and gently swirl to widen the hole. Transfer cooled jam to a piping bag fitted with a ¼ inch round tip, and squeeze to fill with jam until the jam starts to seep from opening.
Serve and enjoy this Strawberry Filled Doughnuts with family and friends!
Did you make this Strawberry Filled Doughnuts? Please leave us a comment below.