These are the Best Keto Almond Flour Scones, in my opinion, they are buttery, soft and with crumb edges. It is very easy to make and calls for only 6 ingredients. Serve it with clotted cream and strawberry jam for a perfect traditional English afternoon tea. These scones are with fewer carbs and sugar, but if you are up for the traditional scones recipe, you can try my Basic Scones.
Before I went on a Keto lifestyle over a year ago, I used to love English scones – both traditional and fun ways of making them. They are slightly crumbly, buttery and very comforting to eat. My most favorite scones I’ve made as of today is the Caramilk Scones drizzled with my Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce. I terribly missed it, and that’s why I need to create a recipe for scones that is Keto-friendly.
Are these Scones Keto-Friendly?
These scones are made with almond flour which is considered to be one of the most used flour in Keto recipes because it is low in carbs.
I chose almond flour for this recipe because coconut flour tends to get dry. I want my scones to be moist and soft. Even better, almond flour has a slightly nutty taste, sweet, and is gluten-free.
What’s the Difference between English Scones and American Scones?
I have learned that English Scones are more traditional. It is made to be eaten with a filling, usually with butter and jam. In this recipe, I used clotted cream or whipped cream and topped with Natvia sugar-free strawberry jam.
While American Scones are often topped with a sweet glaze and studded with blueberries, chocolate chips, and more. Check out this Blueberry Lemon Scones I made in the past.
If you prefer cookies, check out –> NY Levaine Double Chocolate Cookies
How to Make the Best Keto Almond Flour Scones?
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Then in a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients – almond flour, sweeter, and baking powder. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients – melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla and egg. At this point, you can combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Stir well until a dough forms. You can also use an electric hand mixer. Form a dough ball and place it onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Flatten into a disc shape with a rolling pin, about an inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 5-6 scones. Place them apart from each other. Then brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake the scones for 18-22 minutes until golden. Let cool completely in the baking pan. These scones may break when hot, but they firm up once they are cooled down.
Best Keto Almond Flour Scones
- Baking Tray
- 2 cups almond flour finely ground
- ¼ cup Natvia sweetener or sweetener of your choice
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup butter melted, unsalted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of lemon
- 1 large egg beaten, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, sweetener, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients – melted butter, lemon zest, vanilla, and egg.
- Now, combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir well until a dough forms. You can also use an electric hand mixer.
- Form a dough ball and place it onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Flatten into a disc shape with a rolling pin, about 1 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out 5-6 scones. Place them apart from each other. Then brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until golden. Let cool completely in the baking pan. These scones may break when hot, but they firm up once they are cooled down.
- 1 scone without filling is approximately 4.9 net carbs.
- Add a pinch of salt if you like.
- Add 1/2 tsp of xanthum gum if you prefer a stronger crumb.
- The scones in the images are made with finely ground almonds, but if you are using regular ground almond flour, add 1/4 cup to the mixture.
- In these images, I added whipped cream and Natvia strawberry jam.
If you are not a Scone fan, you may want to have a look at my Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Ever instead.
More Keto Dessert Recipes:
This is my Best Keto Cake Donuts