Today I made Avocado Chocolate and Cashew Brownies at my kitchen. It was a sunny but lazy Saturday for me so we stayed home and did nothing. I woke up early but I didn’t want to get out of bed. My back was sore and I can feel that bending is going to be hard for me. I decided to stay in bed some more. Until my phone alarmed. Time for my medicine… What for? It’s for my blood pressure if you asked.
Literally, we were just watching Netflix all day. As some of you know, my family is fond of Kdrama (Korean Drama Series). I just finished watching Oh My Ghost the other day. It was really good! Switched kept on popping as a suggested movie for me for a few days now so I clicked it and found out that it wasn’t Korean but Japanese. We continued watching as it was really good. We loved the plot. Mind you, we finished watching it today. It was just 6 episodes so it just took us a few hours to finished the whole series.
So what did I do aside from watching Netflix? I made a non-fancy breakfast – just avocado and egg toast partnered with homemade cappuccino. My coffee was a bit off because we tried a new brand and it didn’t pass my standard. It wasn’t strong as it was claiming. I made pesto pasta for lunch with homemade garlic bread. And then afternoon tea. What’s for afternoon tea? My kids got hungry all of a sudden. “Mom, I’m hungry! The little one said.” “What? I thought we just ate.” He was hungry all the time, sometimes I think there’s something in his tummy, perhaps an anaconda, but actually he just needs more food as he’s growing.
Anyway, so what’s for afternoon tea? I looked in the kitchen and thought really hard. As I saw the avocado sitting on the bench top, I know I needed to bake it. It’s just one avocado from 4 pcs. that we bought in Countdown the other day. It will get rotten if I didn’t eat it today but I didn’t want to have it raw at the moment as I just had one this morning. I knew straight away that that single avocado was lonely and needs to be in the oven.
By the way, I was so happy that avocados are back in the shelves and they’re cheaper compared to a few months ago. I’m still waiting until it’s a .99 cents a piece. I would indulge myself with avocados. I could have an avocado spa lol!
So without further ado (or should I say, my non sense intro)… here are the things you need to make Avocado Chocolate and Cashew Brownies.
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup white granulated sugar
½ cup maple syrup
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup chocolate powder
1 cup flour
¼ tsp. salt
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips or
½ cup chopped cashew
Himalayan Salt or Sea Salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F or 180 C.
2. Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with baking paper on the bottom. Lightly greased with coconut oil or lightly coat with cooking spray.
3. Mash the avocado in a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, maple syrup, avocado, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well.
5. In another bowl, combine baking flour, chocolate powder, flour and salt. Mix well.
6. Combine the wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well.
7. If using chocolate chips or cashew, this is the time to add it. Using a spatula, fold in the mixture until everything is incorporated.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan, spread evenly.
9. Bake for 30-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
10. If desired, sprinkle with Himalayan or sea salt on top.
11. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
12. Cut into equal squares. Makes 16.
13. Serve and enjoy with family and friends!