This is the Best Keto Chocolate Buttercream and Cream Cheese Frosting. It is ultra silky, smooth and absolutely delicious. This frosting is not too sweet. It is made with a combination of buttercream and cream cheese and with a little bit of sweetener. It will definitely make any cakes and cupcakes totally beautiful and delectable.
I was a buttercream person. I remember how I eat the cake first and save the frosting to savor later. Actually, NO, not just buttercream, I loved any kinds of frosting, may it be whipped cream, Swiss meringue, etc. I loved them so much – full disclosure.
But when I started a Keto lifestyle, I gradually changed my relationship with sugar. I have totally removed all the sugar from my life, and started using sweeteners instead.
So if you are like me who are taking down sugars from your system or just wanting a not-too sweet dessert, just sit back tight and I’ll share with you how I made this delicious frosting.
Important Ingredients in this Recipe
In a Keto lifestyle, butter is life. You are basically eating raw butter in this kind of lifestyle, and so choosing organic and grass fed is a must. Why a must you ask? Because aside from its better taste than the regular butter, organic and grass fed butter has more nutritional value. It has loads of Vitamin-K2, anti-inflammatory fatty acid that decalcifies your arteries.
The Cream Cheese
If I were to choose from Organic and artisanal cream cheese or regular variety such as Philadelphia, I would choose the former. It doesn’t really have much difference when it comes to taste, but I guess it’s better to have a comparison when it comes to baking. It’s up for you to take a pick.
When it comes to sweetener, I prefer using Natvia as it is 100% Natural Sweetener. It is organic that is sweet just like sugar, never bitter. It has 96% fewer calories than regular sugar, ZERO glycemic Index, no carbs, tooth friendly and fructose free. There is nothing artificial in this sweetener. It is crafted for coffee, and great for baking. That’s why I absolutely love to use it.
But you can use whatever sweetener you like. But in this recipe, the sweetener should be powdered. If you can’t buy a bag of powdered sweetener, you can always whizz it up in a blender. Just make sure that it is completely dry before processing it. Wait, but don’t open it yet! Let the powder dust settle in back down before you open the lid.
How to Make the Best Keto Chocolate Buttercream and Cream Cheese Frosting?
In a large bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together with an electric mixer until well combined about 2 minutes. Add the salt and sweeter and continue to mix until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
At this stage, you have made a Keto Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. But if you want Keto Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, sift the cocoa powder and beat until fully incorporated. This recipe is enough for roughly 12 cupcakes.
Best Keto Chocolate Buttercream and Cream Cheese Frosting
- electric mixer
- 140 grams unsalted grass-fed butter room temperature
- 140 grams cream cheese room temperature
- pinch kosher salt
- ¼-½ cup Natvia sweetener, or erythritol or other sweeteners of your choice powdered
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, add the butter and cream cheese. Use an electric mixer and beat until evenly combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add the salt. Then gradually add the sweetener, one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat the mixture until pale and fluffy, about 8-10 minutes. Scrap the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Also, feel free to adjust sweetness depending on your preference.
- Add vanilla extract and beat until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- At this stage, you have created Keto Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. But if you are making a chocolate version, you can sift the cocoa powder, one tablespoon at a time into the bowl. Beat until fully combined. This recipe is enough to frost roughly 12 cupcakes.
- You can pretty much use whatever sweetener you like. I just prefer Natvia sweeteners in my baking. Just make sure that the sweetener is powdered. It is easy to do it yourself, just whizz it up or process it in a blender and your regular sweetener will turn into powdered. Easy! But wait, don’t open the lid yet! Wait for a few moments for the powder dust to settle back down.
- Or you can always grab a bag of powdered sweetener. No-fuss!
- Make sure that the butter and cream cheese are at room temperature before mixing.