This Seafood Gumbo is really a Winter warmer! This herby condensed soup with seafood like firm white fish and prawns is very hearty and perfect for colder weather.
It is colder in Auckland than in Wellington this year and that is not ordinary. So a perfect food to eat for dinner is something hearty and warm, just like this Seafood Gumbo. It is made with seafood like firm white fish and prawns, spicy chorizo and some herbs.
How to Make Seafood Gumbo?
To make Seafood Gumbo, saute onion, celery and capsicum in a hot oil. When the vegetables are aromatic and the onion is transparent, add the spicy chorizo (you can also use mild chorizo), one bay leaf and dried thyme. Add in the diced tomatoes and condensed tomato soup. Cover and bring it to a boil for about 20 minutes. Then add firm white fish, I used Hoki fish for this recipe, and don’t forget the prawns or shrimps. Simmer it for 7 minutes and it’s done. It’s quite simple and very filling. It will definitely brighten up your gloomy Winter day.
Seafood Gumbo Recipe
2 tablespoons oil
1 onion, minced
2 stalks celery, minced
1 capsicum, minced (red or green)
2 spicy or mild chorizo, sliced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
400 grams can diced tomatoes, Mexican-style
420 grams can condensed tomato soup
250 grams firm white fish, (hoki, lemonfish)
250 grams prawns or shrimps
1/4 cup parsley, for garnishing
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion, celery and capsicum. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently until the onion is transparent and the vegetables are aromatic, soft but not browned.
- Add chorizo, bay leaf and dried thyme. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and condensed tomato soup. Cover and bring to a boil for about 20 minutes.
- Add the prawns and fish and simmer until the seafood is cooked, about 7 minutes in gentle heat.
- Transfer into a bowl and garnish with chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread.
Serve and enjoy this Seafood Gumbo with family and friends!
- You can use either red or green capsicum for this recipe.
- In case kids will eat with you, you can substitute spicy chorizo to a mild one.
- For a healthier version, you can use fresh tomatoes and diced them and puree more tomatoes to substitute the condensed tomato soup. Keep in mind to add more herbs and spices when substituting as the canned tomatoes have flavors in them.
- Only use firm white fish for this recipe, hoki is good, lemonfish is another one.
- Serve in bowls and accompany it with crusty bread.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SEAFOOD GUMBO:
Did you make this recipe yet? Please leave us a comment below.