Ube Crinkles or Purple Yam Crinkles has been popularized in the Philippines. It is a soft, chewy cookie in the inside and crunchy in the outside.
These are Filipino cookies made with purple yam (ube) and rolled in icing sugar. Chocolate Crinkles are its origin, and since Filipinos love ube, they gave this recipe a good twist.
How to Make Ube Crinkles?
In a large bowl, cream the sugar and the oil together. Then add eggs, beating one at a time. Next, add the ube (purple yam). In this recipe, I used 1/3 cup of ube jam but you are welcome to add more up to 1 cup, taking the texture of the cookie in consideration. Also, there is a store-bought ube jam that is darker than others, so it is really up to you. Pour in the purple food coloring, this also depends on how deep purple you want your cookies to be. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl. Mix with a hand mixer, but if it gets harder, then use a wooden spoon to fold the mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Scoop a tablespoon of the dough and ube balls, roll it in icing sugar. Repeat this step until all the dough is finished. Arrange them on a baking sheet, 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven of 350 degrees or 180 degrees C.
Ube Crinkles Recipe
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup ube jam (up to 1 cup)
purple food coloring
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup icing sugar
- In a large bowl, cream oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs, beating one at a time.
- Add the ube jam (you can add more up to 1 cup if you like) and pour in food coloring (depends on how deep purple you want your cookies).
- Now, add in the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix until well combined. Use a wooden spoon if the mixture gets harder to mix with a hand mixer.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the dough and make a ball with your palm. Roll it in icing sugar.
- Repeat the step until all the dough is finished.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet, 1 inch apart to prevent sticking to each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven of 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
Serve and enjoy these Ube Crinkles with family and friends!
- Use only neutral oils like vegetable or canola for this recipe.
- Make sure to buy a good quality ube jam or better if you have homemade ube jam at home. I used 1/3 cup of ube jam in this recipe, but you are welcome to add more, up to 1 cup. Please take texture into consideration if you are going to add some more.
- It is advisable to refrigerate the ube mixture for at least 4 hours to prevent flattening the cookies while baking. It is even better if you keep it in the fridge overnight before making ube dough balls. By doing this, you are creating the beautiful cracks on top when they’re baked.
- Using a regular spoon or an ice cream scooper, scoop the ube dough and make balls with it using the palm of your hand and roll them in the icing sugar.
- Adding purple food coloring depends on how deep purple you want your cookies. I used 1 tablespoon for this recipe.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE UBE CRINKLES:
If you tried and loved these Ube Crinkles recipe, please leave a comment and a rating below! Thank you!