Maja Mais (Coconut Pudding with Corn) is a Filipino dessert that is a mix of coconut milk, sugar and cornstarch with cream style corn. It is an easy recipe with very common ingredients and served mostly during Christmas. Originally, it is made without the corn and it is called Maja Blanca.
Maja Mais is a creamy and light coconut pudding that is a very popular dessert in the Philippines. Based on its name, this dessert is probably originated in Spain and Filipinos adopted it when we were still under the control of the Spanish Colonial Government.
How to Make Maja Mais (Coconut Pudding with Corn)?
This recipe is pretty easy to make. It is basically a mixture of coconut milk, sugar and cornstarch with corn. In a pot, boil the coconut milk, then add sugar, condensed milk and cream style corn. Mix really well and let it simmer for about 8 minutes. In a bowl, mix fresh milk and cornstarch to make a slurry. Now add the slurry to the coconut mixture. This will thicken it up. Use a wooden spoon to mix it. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is thick.
You may also like my other kakanin recipes: Sapin Sapin, Bibingkang Malagkit and Cassava Cake.
Maja Mais (Coconut Pudding with Corn ) Recipe
4 cups coconut milk
3/4 cups sugar
1 can (395 grams) condensed milk
1 can (410 grams) cream style corn
3/4 cup evaporated milk or fresh milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup toasted grated coconut
- Boil coconut milk in a pot. Add sugar, condensed milk and cream style corn, simmer for 8 minutes or until it bubbles.
- MAKE A SLURRY: In a small bowl, combine milk and cornstarch together. Mix well.
- Add the slurry to the coconut milk mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix until it thickens.
- Pour the coconut pudding in a greased dish. Flatten the top.
- TOAST GRATED COCONUT: In a medium pan, toast 1 cup of grated coconut until light brown. Set aside. When it has cooled down, sprinkle it on top of the coconut pudding.
Serve and enjoy this Maja Mais (Coconut Pudding with Corn) with family and friends!
- Use good quality coconut milk and cream-style corn. These will give a good finish.
- This recipe is not too sweet but if you still feel like this is sweet for you, you can always reduce the sugar or the condensed milk.
- Don’t put too much cornstarch. I think 3/4 is enough for this recipe. I’ve tried putting 1 cup of cornstarch in 1 cup of milk and it turns out a bit hard and it tastes starchy.
- Expect a taste of sweet coconut and corn. It should not taste like starch.
- Cool and refrigerate. It will make the pudding set and slicing will be easier.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE MAJA MAIS (COCONUT PUDDING WITH CORN):
Did you make this Maja Mais (Coconut Pudding with Corn)? Please leave us a comment below.