Sushi Bake is basically a deconstructed sushi roll baked like a casserole. It is easy to make and a perfect potluck dish to share with family and friends.
It is technically deconstructed sushi baked in a pan like a casserole. Sushi bake is the best food to bring to parties, family gatherings and events. It is very easy and simple to make and it takes a little time to prepare. This Japanese dish is amazingly packed with the yummy goodness of sushi rice, imitation crab, mayo, cream cheese and furikake. Wrapping a spoonful of it in a store-bought seaweed is just gorgeous. You can think simple with the ingredients or go crazy and wild. I guess you can mix anything with it provided that they blend nicely together.
How to Make Sushi Bake?
To make this popular potluck dish, you need to cook sushi rice (Jasmine rice is a good substitute) as per instructions in the package. Make sure that you rinse the rice until the water is clear. Add sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar. I like to add salt and sugar to my sushi rice. If you don’t like it salty and sweet, you can always omit them. Mix them all up. Place the rice in a baking dish and flatten it. Sprinkle furikake on top. In a large bowl, mix imitation crab, mayo, cream cheese until well-combined. Add the mixture on top of sushi rice and flatten it. Now, it is time to squiggle sriracha and kewpie on top. Add in green onions and furikake, yes, more furikake. Furikake gives the rice a nice tasty flavour, so more of it means tastier dish.
Sushi Bake Recipe
FOR SUSHI RICE:
3 cups sushi rice (or Jasmine rice)
3 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
500 grams imitation crab
1 cup mayo
125 grams cream cheese
green onions, 2 stalks
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F or 230 degrees C.
- MAKE SUSHI RICE: Cook sushi rice as per package instructions. Make sure to rinse the rice well until the water is clear. Cook in a rice cooker. Add sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and sugar. Place in a baking dish. Flatten the rice and sprinkle with furikake.
- MAKE FILLING: In a large bowl, mix imitation crab, mayo and cream cheese. Place on top of the rice. Make sure to flatten it and make it even.
- Squiggle sriracha and kewpie. Sprinkle with green onions and furikake.
- BAKE: Bake sushi in a preheated oven for 5 – 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy this Sushi Bake with family and friends!
- No worries if you don’t have sushi rice at home, Jasmine rice works well too.
- Remember to wash sushi rice until the water is clear.
- You can mix anything you want in a sushi. This is just an idea, but of course you use salmon, tuna, chicken, and more. The idea is endless.
- Add furikake in your sushi bake. Seriously, add more furikake. It gives the rice such a tasty flavour and you’re going to thank me later. Furikake comes in different flavours. I used rice seasoning powder (Unagi Furikake).
- To bake or not to bake the sushi bake? It is really up to you.
WATCH SUSHI BAKE VIDEO:
Did you make this Sushi Bake? Please leave a comment below.