This Korean Stir Fry Fish Cake (Odeng / Eomuk Bokkeum) 오뎅볶음 is a quick and easy Korean side dish. It is really good to eat with any Korean main dish you have. I made this when I made Korean Army Stew – Budae Jjigae (부대찌개).
Korean Stir Fry Fish Cake (Odeng / Eomuk Bokkeum) 오뎅볶음 is one of the most popular Korean side dish (bancham). The savoury taste of the fish cakes, stir-fried with vegetables and tasty sauce makes a great side dish partnered with any Korean main dish. This is served in Korean restaurants as complimentary side dish, but you can now make it at home.
How to Make Korean Stir Fry Fish Cake (Odeng / Eomuk Bokkeum) 오뎅볶음?
This is made by stir-frying all the ingredients in one pan. Heat oil in a pan, saute the onions and garlic. Add in the fish cakes and cook for 4 minutes or until they are heated through. Add the soy sauce, brown sugar and the red pepper powder. Add the carrots and cook for a minute then add the spring onions. Give it another minute and it is done. It is so quick and easy.
Korean Stir Fry Fish Cakes (Odeng / Eomuk Bokkeum)
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
4 fish cakes, sliced into bite size
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon red pepper powder or flakes
1/2 to 1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 carrot, julienned
2 stalks of green onions
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Once heated, saute the onions until translucent.
- Then saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the fish cakes for 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Next, pour in the soy sauce, add the brown sugar and the red pepper powder. Mix well.
- Add the carrots and cook for a minute, then add the green onions.
Serve and enjoy this Korean Stir Fry Fish Cakes (Odeng / Eomuk Bokkeum) 오뎅볶음 with family and friends!
- Fish cakes are made with wheat flour, surimi, carrots, onions, sugar, salt and additives. You can substitute fish tofu if fish cakes are not available.
- If you want fully cooked carrots, you can add them first before the fish cakes. I like mine crunchy so I add them later.
- This stir-fry fish cakes are really good with Korean BBQ.
- It can be stored in the fridge for weeks, or even months.
- Add more red pepper powder to make it spicier.
Did you make this Eomuk Bokkeum (Stir-fried Fish Cake) 오뎅볶음? Please leave us a comment below.