Have you ever had The Best Mac and Cheese in your life? This recipe is the best – really! It’s outrageously creamy, cheesy and a little bit crunchy on top. Save this recipe and share it with your friends because this is definitely a keeper.
Do you know why I’m proud of this recipe? This is actually made by my daughter (10) for our dinner. No kidding! She’s at her best when she’s in the kitchen. The Best Mac and Cheese recipe from Mom Time Out has three different cheese combinations. For this one, my daughter used cheddar, Gruyere and Parmesan for the cheesiest cheese sauce ever!
The Best Mac and Cheese Recipe
500 grams elbow macaroni, cooked
1 tablespoon extra virgin oil
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour, all-purpose or plain
3 cups full milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Make the Best Mac and Cheese?
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a large baking dish and set aside. Combine grated cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle and coat the pasta with extra virgin oil. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
- In a deep saucepan, melt butter, then whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute or until bubbly and golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface, and continue whisking for another 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 2 cups of grated cheeses and whisk until smooth. Then add another 2 cups of cheese and continue whisking until smooth and creamy. Cheese sauce should be smooth and thick.
- Add the cooled pasta in the cheese sauce, stir until fully coated.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the lightly greased baking dish, top with remaining 2 cups of grated cheese. Add the remaining mac and cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top of mac and cheese and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Serve and enjoy The Best Mac and Cheese with your family and friends!
- Use block cheese and grate, do not buy the packed grated cheese in stores – not for this recipe. Using block cheese will give you the best result. Cook your pasta a little slightly than al dente, about 1 minute because the pasta will be baked after you have assembled it in a baking dish, to avoid soggy macaroni. The recipe calls for elbow macaroni, but really, any tubular pasta will work as well.
- Make the Roux – this is important to be able to achieve the creamiest cheese sauce. Roux (equal parts butter and flour) is whisked together until bubbly and golden. Use cold milk – not warm, to prevent lumps. Cook the roux until bubbly on the surface and then continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes before adding the cheeses.
- You can add and mix different cheese combinations. A substitute for Gruyere is Swiss Cheese. Mozarella works well too. What cheese combinations have you personally tried and taste really good? Let me know in the comments below.
Did you make The Best Mac and Cheese? Please leave us a comment below.