I wanted to make this Ube Custard (Leche Flan) Cake for so long, but I haven’t had a chance. I’m so glad I’m in the mood to bake today, because this cake is really good. I actually regretted not making it sooner. I was so surprised how ube (purple yam) and custard are like a match made in heaven.
Whoever thought of this cake is a genius! The combination of the soft ube chiffon cake and the sweetness of custard is love! I couldn’t stop eating it. The custard melts in my mouth! It’s so delicious! You have to try it yourself!
Ube Custard (Leche Flan) Cake Recipe
FOR CARAMELIZED SUGAR:
3/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of water
FOR CUSTARD (LECHE FLAN):
6 egg yolks
1 cup condensed milk
1/2 cup cream, (heavy, whipping, all-purpose)
1/4 cup milk, (fresh or evaporated)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon concentrated ube flavouring
3 drops of purple food colouring
1 cup flour, (plain, all-purpose)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
FOR WHIPPED EGG WHITES:
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
How to Make Ube Custard (Leche Flan) Cake?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- MAKE CARAMELIZED SUGAR: In a saucepan or non-stick pan, mix sugar and water together. Cook it in medium heat. Don’t mix until colour changes to amber. Immediately transfer to an 8-inch round cake pan. Swirl the cake pan to coat the bottom evenly. Set aside.
- MAKE CUSTARD (LECHE FLAN): Whisk egg yolks and condensed milk together until combined. Add cream, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- MAKE CAKE: In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together until it changes to light colour. Add oil, milk, and vanilla. Mix together. Then add concentrated tube flavouring and food colouring. Mix well. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture. Mix until well combined.
- MAKE WHIPPED EGG WHITES: In a large bowl, whip egg whites until frothy – about 3 minutes. Add vinegar. Then gradually add sugar. Mix until soft peak forms.
- Slowly add the whipped egg whites into the cake mixture in thirds. Fold the whipped eggs carefully until well combined. Don’t over mix. Set aside.
- Pour the custard mixture through a sieve into the cake pan with caramelized sugar. Gently pour the cake batter over the custard. Tap for excess bubbles.
- Place the cake in a water bath. Bake in 180 degrees C oven for 55-65 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden brown.
- Immediately run a thin knife around the cake to release it from the pan.
- Place a large serving plate on top of the cake pan and quickly invert the cake onto the plate.
- Let it cool. Chill in the fridge before serving.
Serve and enjoy this Ube Custard (Leche Flan) Cake with your family and friends!
- This recipe is good for 8-inch round pan.
- This can be chilled in the pan, then soak the bottom of the pan with hot water for a few minutes before inverting onto a plate.
- It can be steamed in the same amount of time, or until the cake is fully cooked.
- Instead of concentrated ube flavouring, you can use ube jam (same amount).
- Do a toothpick test to see if the custard and cake are cooked. Also, cake pulls away from the side of the pan when it’s cooked.
Did you make this Ube Custard (Leche Flan) Cake? Please leave us a comment below.