Every country has its own version of Bread Pudding. The best thing about this dessert is that, it is made of a day-old bread or stale bread. It’s one of the desserts that can be made every day at home.
The main ingredient of a Bread Pudding is, of course, bread. The type of bread that is used is not specified, but most people use day-old white bread. When I was searching for this recipe, I found out that some use “Mamon,” a sweet sponge cake from the Philippines. Bakeries back home (Philippines) use different kinds of old bread to make bread pudding. It’s a good way to eliminate wasted food. I remember, when I was little, my Papa told me that the bread pudding I was eating was old, I disagreed and said, “No, it’s new!” (What I meant was, I just bought it from the bakery – thus, it’s new!) But now I know what he meant!
Bread Pudding Recipe
FOR BREAD PUDDING:
10 slices of day-old bread
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR ICING SUGAR:
2 cups icing sugar (confectioner’s or powdered)
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon milk
How to Make Bread Pudding?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Cut the bread into small pieces and arrange into an 8-inch square baking pan.
3. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
4. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaked with the egg-milk mixture.
5.Bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped.
FOR WHITE GLAZED ICING:
1. Mix the icing sugar, butter and vanilla together in a bowl.
2. Add milk and stir to make a thick glaze, add just a drop at a time.
3. Spread or pour immediately over cooled bread pudding.
Serve and enjoy this Bread Pudding with your family and friends!
Did you make this Banana Oat Bread? Please leave us a comment below.