Brazo de Mercedes is one of my favourite Filipino cakes, made of soft and fluffy meringue and sweet custard filling that melts in your mouth.
Whenever we passed by Goldilocks (famous Filipino bake shop), my palate knew instantly what it craves… It wants the soft and fluffy meringue and sweet custard filling rolled cake that I could finish in one sitting. Unless of course, I have to share it with my siblings and parents. I super love the texture of that marshmallowy type of this cake and the sweetness of the custard that melts in my mouth and gone in seconds like magic.
Of course, I didn’t know how to make it before and I prefer to buy it from the cake shop than to make one for ourselves. Goldilocks is a place we always go to when we want to eat cakes when I was little. But when I moved to New Zealand with my family, I started to learn how to make Brazo de Mercedes because I couldn’t find any cake shops that sell it. There’s nothing I could do but learn how to bake it. One of the things I do when I crave for sweets.
At first, it was really hard. The white soft meringue is a pain. I always failed back then, whether it’s too soggy, too eggy, too flat, too moist, and etc. I didn’t give up though and started to feel successful. I was so proud of myself and I told myself to practice baking it once in a while.
But now that I’m in a Keto diet and craving for Brazo de Mercedes, I thought maybe I could replace the sugar and condensed milk to Keto-friendly ingredients like erythritol and my Homemade Keto Condensed Milk. If you’re from New Zealand, I bought my erythritol at Bin Inn.
Keto Brazo de Mercedes Recipe
8 large eggs whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup erythritol
FORE CUSTARD FILLING:
1 3/4 cup Keto condensed milk
8 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons erythritol icing sugar
How to Make Keto Brazo de Mercedes?
1. Mix the white eggs and cream of tartar until it reaches its soft peak form.
2. Gradually add the erythritol until the texture is semi-firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Put wax paper on top of a cookie sheet or large rectangular baking pan and grease the surface.
5. Place the meringue on top of the greased wax paper then spread evenly using a spatula.
6. Bake the meringue for 20 minutes or until top part turns light to medium brown.
7. While baking the meringue, make the filling by combining the egg yolks and Keto condensed milk in a small cooking pot. Continuously stir the mixture until it becomes thick.
8. Add the vanilla extract to the condensed milk and egg yolk mixture, then turn off the heat, and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
9. Remove the meringue from the oven and cool down for a few minutes.
10. Flip the meringue, the top baked meringue should now be below. Remove the baking tray and the wax paper then spread the custard filling over the meringue.
11. Roll the meringue. Make sure that the layer with filling is rolled inward.
12. Sprinkle erythritol icing sugar on top of the roll.
13. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
Share and enjoy this Keto Brazo de Mercedes with family and friends!
- Make sure you use fresh eggs.
- Always line your baking tray with parchment paper so the meringue won’t stick to the tray and makes it easier for you to lift it after.
- You need to know what soft peak looks like. Start whipping the eggs in the mixer at low speed and gradually increase it to medium. Gradually add sugar one spoonfuls at a time until the meringue drops slightly when you hold the whipping attachment vertically.
- Once the meringue is cooked, dust it with powdered sugar first before flipping it to the other side.
- Use double broiler in making the custard to prevent scrambling the egg and/or burn it.
- Roll Brazo de Mercedes using parchment paper. Gently lift, tighten and adjust the roll. Refrigerate it until it’s ready to slice and serve.
Did you make this Keto Brazo de Mercedes? Please leave us a comment below.