Brazo de Mercedes is one of my favourite Filipino cakes, made of soft and fluffy meringue and sweet custard filling that melts in your mouth.
Whenever we passed by Goldilocks (a famous Filipino bake shop), my palate knew instantly what it craves. It wants the soft and fluffy meringue and sweet custard filling rolled cake that I could finish in one sitting. Unless of course, if I have to share it with my parents and siblings. I super love the marshmallowy texture of this cake and the sweetness of the custard. It literally melts in my mouth and is gone in seconds.
Of course, I didn’t know how to make Brazo de Mercedes in the past. I would prefer buying it from the cake shop than to make one for ourselves. But when I moved to New Zealand with my family, I started to learn how to make Brazo de Mercedes because I couldn’t find any cake shops that sell it. I have no choice but to learn to bake it.
At first, it was really hard to make a perfectly rolled Brazo de Mercedes. I reckon that making the white soft meringue is a pain. I always fail back then, whether it’s too soggy, too eggy, too flat, too moist, and so much more. I didn’t give up though, and started to feel successful as I practice.
Since I’m on a Keto diet now and craving for Brazo de Mercedes, I thought maybe I could replace the sugar and condensed milk with Keto-friendly ingredients like erythritol. I also made a Homemade Keto Condensed Milk to use for the filling. With a great success, here is my own version of Keto Brazo de Mercedes.
If you’re from New Zealand, I bought my erythritol at Bin Inn.
Keto Brazo de Mercedes Recipe
8 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup erythritol
FOR CUSTARD FILLING:
1 3/4 cup Keto condensed milk
8 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons erythritol icing sugar
How to Make Keto Brazo de Mercedes?
1. In a large bowl, mix the egg whites and cream of tartar until it reaches its soft peak form, about 7 minutes over medium speed.
2. Gradually add the erythritol until the texture of the egg whites is semi-firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
4. Put parchment paper on top of a baking sheet or large rectangular baking pan and grease the surface.
5. Place the meringue on top of the greased baking paper then spread evenly using a spatula.
6. Bake the meringue for 20 minutes or until top part turns light to medium brown.
7. While baking the meringue, make the filling by combining the egg yolks and Homemade Keto Condensed Milk in a small cooking pot. Stir the mixture continuously until it becomes thick.
8. Add the vanilla extract to the Homemade Keto Condensed Milk and egg yolk mixture, then turn off the heat, and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
9. Remove the meringue from the oven and cool down for a few minutes.
10. Flip the meringue, the top baked meringue should now be below. Remove the baking tray and the parchment paper then spread the custard filling over the meringue.
11. Roll the meringue carefully. Make sure that the layer with filling is rolled inward.
12. Dust erythritol icing sugar on top of the roll.
13. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
Share and enjoy this Keto Brazo de Mercedes with family and friends!
- Make sure you use fresh eggs.
- Always line your baking tray with parchment paper so the meringue won’t stick to the tray and makes it easier for you to lift it after.
- You need to know what soft peak looks like. Start whipping the eggs in the mixer at low speed and gradually increase it to medium. Gradually add sugar one spoonfuls at a time until the meringue drops slightly when you hold the whipping attachment vertically.
- Once the meringue is cooked, dust it with powdered sugar first before flipping it to the other side.
- Use double broiler in making the custard to prevent scrambling the egg and/or burn it.
- Roll Brazo de Mercedes using parchment paper. Gently lift, tighten and adjust the roll. Refrigerate it until it’s ready to slice and serve.
Did you make this Keto Brazo de Mercedes? Please leave us a comment below.