Life is sweeter with sugar but Life is better with condensed milk! Imagine the endless possibilities you can make with it; flan, custard, dulce de leche! Oh my, I’m literally drooling while I’m writing that sentence. But what about the sugar content? Yes, it has heaps of sugar! So, today we’re going to replace that life-threatening sugar to a more acceptable alternative to make homemade Keto condensed milk.
As a child, I remember slowly pouring condensed milk into pandesal (Filipino bread roll) and eating it with such delight. I would scoop it with a spoon and eat it mindlessly like a lollipop. I’m a sweet tooth and live with sugar since the day I was born. No wonder I’m in a borderline to having Type 2 Diabetes. When I heard that from my Doctor, it saddened me. I thought back then that I could never live without sugar, but I was wrong. I started my Keto diet last year for 2 months and got back to my “normal” eating habit and gained those excess pounds again. This year, I promise myself to be consistent and to care about my health more. I’m serious about entering the Keto lifestyle.
But lately, I’ve been craving for Brazo de Mercedes, Filipino soft meringue cake with sweet custard filling which is made of condensed milk and egg yolks. Then I wondered I just need to replace the sugar and the condensed milk on the original Brazo de Mercedes recipe. So making homemade Keto condensed milk came to mind.
Homemade Keto Condensed Milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup erythritol
How to Make Homemade Keto Condensed Milk?
1. In a medium-sized saucepan or skillet, place all the ingredients over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then turn to low heat and simmer until reduced by nearly half. Stir several times for approximately 15-20 minutes to prevent scorching.
3. Once the Keto Condensed Milk is thick and gooey, turn off the heat and cool it down for 10 minutes before putting it in the fridge.
4. Leave in the fridge for at least 4 hours before using.
Serve and enjoy this Homemade Keto Condensed Milk with family and friends!
Why is Erythritol good for you?
Erythritol is the sweet ketogenic ingredient which used to substitute sugar. It is a sugar alcohol, approximately 60-80% as sweet as the regular sugar.
- It doesn’t cause a blood sugar spike, which is good for diabetics.
- It can decrease plaque and even helpful in preventing tooth decay.
- A good sugar substitute to be used in Keto recipes.
Did you make this Homemade Keto Condensed Milk? Please leave us a comment below.