Very easy Blueberry Lemon Scones recipe filled with of course… blueberries and drizzled with sweet and tangy lemon glaze.
These scones were done in 30 minutes. Seriously, I was supposed to make this the night before but I totally forgot and slept through the night. Or maybe I remembered it when I was awakened by the very loud noise from a motorcyclist who rushed down our street, then got back to sleep because it’s was so cozy that night.
Anyway, so I needed to make something edible so my kids could have something in their lunch boxes. I gathered very basic ingredients that I need in making scones and voila, next thing I know it’s done. Plain and simple.
The only tricky part I’ve encountered in making these scones is when I was trying to fold in the frozen blueberries and they just dove out of the dough like they have mind on their own. Other than that, it’s pretty simple.
Not all scones are the same. Mind you, these scones I made are not flaky, crumbly or traditionally hard. This recipe looks like it’s hard on the outside but it’s really super soft in the inside. Just like how my kids and husband like it. Who likes hard bread anyway? We don’t. I will definitely make this recipe again perhaps with dates next time, or plain cheese. Will see…
Blueberry Lemon Scones Recipe
2 cups flour
50 grams cold butter
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk plus 2 Tbsp for brushing
½ cup frozen blueberries
½ lemon, squeezed
FOR ICING GLAZE:
1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
2-3 Tbsp milk or lemon juice
How to Make Blueberry Lemo Scones?
1. Preheat oven to 220C. Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You could also use silicone mat.
2. Put flour and cold butter in a large bowl. Using your hands, fork, or a pastry cutter, combine the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
3. Add baking powder and salt.
4. Make a well and slowly pour in milk and lemon juice. Using a hook attachment or a rubber spatula, mix and toss the mixture until everything is moistened. It will look like wet dough. Slowly and gently fold in blueberries.
5. In a floured surface, toss in the wet dough. Make a flat log, about 10-12 inch long. With your pastry cutter or knife, cut the dough in triangles. This recipe can make 10-12 scones.
6. Place the scones on to the prepared baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart.
7. Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
8. While cooling, make the glaze by adding icing and milk or lemon juice together. Whisk until it’s smooth.
9. Drizzle glaze over scones before serving.
Serve and enjoy these Blueberry Lemon Scones with family and friends!
Do you make these Blueberry Lemon Scones? Please leave us a comment below.