1⁄2 lb or 227 gm unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 large eggs, room temperature
1⁄3 cup lemon, zest of, grated
3 cups flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
3⁄4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
2. Grease 2 8-inch round pans, lining the bottom with parchment paper.
3. Using paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar in a bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes.
4. Turn the mixer to medium, add eggs one at a time, following the lemon zest.
5. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
6. In another bowl, combine lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla.
7. Alternately, add flour and buttermilk mixtures to batter, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
8. Divide batter evenly between pans, smoothing the tops.
9. Bake for 45 minutes- 1 hour, until tester comes out clean.
10. When cakes are done, cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
FOR THE FROSTING:
1 1/2 cup or 3 sticks or 342 gms Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
100 g Vegetable Shortening
200 g Cream Cheese (softened)
1 1/2 tsp Lemon Essence or Fresh Lemon Juice
500 g Confectioners or Icing Sugar
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE FROSTING:
1. Put cream cheese, shortening and butter to a mixing bowl and mix at high speed for 5 minutes.
2. Add the lemon essence or lemon juice and reduce speed to low. Add icing sugar gradually, about 1/2 cup at a time.
3. Once you have added all the sugar, mix it at high speed for 7-10 minutes until a smooth velvety frosting forms.
FOR THE TOPPING:
A thin slice of lemon slit in center
Freshly grated peel from one large lemon, if desired.
1. Apply a dab of icing on an 8 inch cake board and place the first torted cake layer (this will secure the cake to the board). Spread a thin layer of frosting on this layer.
2. Place the second cake layer. Spread a thin layer of frosting on this layer and repeat this instruction until the final layer of cake has put in place.
3. Apply desired food gel coloring to the frosting. I used ombre of yellow. It’s up to you.
4. Using star tip, pipe frosting on the top of the cake and sliced lemon alternately. Pipe some frosting design around the bottom of the cake.
Thulas Cake Lab