4 large egg whites (or 5 small)
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 3/4 cups icing mixture
1 cup almond meal
2g salt (tiny pinch)
gel food colouring (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Place egg whites and sugar in a bowl and mix with electric mixer until stiff enough to turn the bowl upside down without it falling out, continue to whip for 1-2 more minutes. Add gel food colouring and continue to mix for a further 20seconds.
2. Sift the almond meal and icing sugar and salt twice, discarding any almond lumps that are too big to pass through the sieve.
3. Fold into the egg white mixture. It should take roughly 30-50 folds using a rubber spatula. (The mixture should be smooth and a very viscous, not runny. Over-mix and your macarons will be flat and have no foot, under mix and they will not be smooth on top.)
4. Pipe onto trays lined with baking paper, tap trays on the bench firmly (this prevents cracking) and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Check if one comes off the tray fairly cleanly, if not bake for a little longer (make sure you are using NON-stick baking paper or they will stick).
1/2 cup or 120g (4.23 ounces) butter
2 1/2 cups or 330g (11.64 ounces) icing sugar (icing mixture is fine it does not have to be pure icing sugar)
1-4 tablespoons of milk or cream
1. Leave the butter to soften at room temperature then beat together with the icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk or cream until smooth and light in colour.
2. Add extra spoons of milk one at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
3. Fill one side of the macaroons.
3. Place the other side on to the macaroon with a filling. Press lightly.
Share and enjoy with family and friends!!!
Personally, I am not so happy how it turned out. The texture wasn’t perfect and I believe I didn’t achieve the foot. The foot is actually the trademark of a macaroon. My macaroons craked a bit at the bottom, and that made me realize this wasn’t so good enough. The taste is perfect though, it’s just the appearance that I am worried about.
I thank How to Cook That for this as this recipe is quite easier than the other recipes posted on Google. I have to try it again though! I won’t give up!