1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour (see cake flour substitute, if not available)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F or 176C. Butter two 8 inch round cake pans; line the bottoms with baking paper. Butter baking paper and dust with flour.
2. In a bowl, sift together flours, baking powder and salt, set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy for 3 -4 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then beat in vanilla. Turn the speed to low then add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk. Beat until combined after each addition.
4. Divide batter between the prepared pans. Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes or until the cakes are golden brown. To test if the cake is done, insert a toothpick on the center of the cake, if it comes clean, then your cake is ready.
5. Transfer pans to a wire rack to cool for 20 mins. Invert cakes onto the rack, peel off the baking paper.
6. Reinvert cakes and let them cool completely.