Breastfeeding mothers may experience breast lumps, which may mean she has a blocked ducts or breast infections (mastitis).
To help clear blocked ducts try:
- Feeding frequently from the affected breast, but continue to feed from both breasts
- Changing breastfeeding positions
- Hot showers or applying warm face cloths to the affected breast
- Gently massaging any lumpy areas towards the nipple
- Keep feeding your baby as advised for blocked ducts. The symptoms clear more quickly if the breasts are kept from getting too full. When mum has a breast infection, the milk is not harmful for baby to drink.
- Take paracetamol as directed on the packet for pain prolonged (for more than a couple of days) or excessive use may be harmful, so see your health professional if pain continues.
- Drink extra fluids
- Get plenty of rest and try to sleep when your baby sleeps.