Thursday is BAKING DAY with kids! My 8 year old and my 20 months old daughters are always excited to have sticky hands and get floured face on a Thursday afternoon, hehe! It’s so nice to see my kids having fun in measuring the ingredients, mixing the batter and kneading the dough. Thursday is a bonding day with my little bakers in our wee kitchen and every Thursday is indeed priceless.
For this week, we chose to make Pumpkin Roll with creamy cheese filling. Hubby bought a huge pumpkin last week to make pumpkin tempura and we were able to use just a quarter of the pumpkin and left us with 3/4 of the huge pumpkin which comfortably cooling off in the fridge. So I thought pumpkin roll is a good way to get used of it and we sure did a good choice. It’s another yummy treat for the family.
Here are the ingredients you need to make pumpkin roll.
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons cinnamon
powdered sugar (needed for a towel, to keep the cake from sticking)
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar for topping
You can use the filling to cover the roll and decorate with the remaining filling and pecans.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well blended.
4. Spray a 10 1/2″ by 15″ non-stick cookie sheet with cooking spray. Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet, spread evenly.
5. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Prepare a clean kitchen towel by sprinkling heavily with powdered sugar.
7. After baking, turn the cookie sheet onto the towel, the cake should slide out onto the towel. Starting at one end, roll up the cake into the towel. Cool 30-40 minutes.
8. For the filling, stir together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and butter. Mix well.
9. After the roll has cooled, unroll it and spread the filling evenly. Roll back up without the towel. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or until filling is firm.
10. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.