For the Pastry:
1/2 cup butter (at room temperature)
1/3 cup + 1 tbsp caster sugar
1 cup + 2/3 cup plain flour
1 egg beaten
1-2 tbsp cold water
For the Filling:
2 1/3 cup milk
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
To make the Pastry:
1. Combine flour and sugar in a bowl.
2. Cut butter in small pieces and put in the flour and sugar mixture. Rub in the butter using the tip of your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in lightly beaten egg and knead the dough until it just comes together. If the dough is too dry, you can sprinkle cold water to moisten it up.
4. Knead for a short while and form into a ball.
5. Roll out thinky on a floured table top to a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
6. Line a 9 inch pie pan. Press the pastry well into the sides of the pan.
7. Put the tin on a baking sheet and bake blind: line the pastry with foil and baking beans.
8. Bake in preheated oven to 200C for 15 minutes.
9. Remove foil and baking beans then return the pan to the oven to bake for another 5 minutes.
10. Trim the excess pastry from the edge of the pie pan with a knife.
To make the Filling:
1. Turn down the oven to 180C.
2. In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar and egg yolks.
3. Stir in the milk into the mixture.
4. Beat the egg white to soft peak and fold into the milk and egg yolk mixture.
5. Place the pastry lined pie pan on a baking sheet.
6. Pour the fillinf in the pie pan and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is brown.
7. Bring down oven to 110C and bake for a further 1 hour or until the custard is just set. Wobbly center is normal.
8. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Share and enjoy with family and friends!
Source: English Patis