1 lb. or 14 oz yellow peeled split mung beans
2 1/2 cups sugar
For Dough #1:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
For Dough #2:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
To Make the Mungo Filling:
1. Soak the mung beans in 5 cups of water for 8 hours at least or overnight.
2. Add 2 more cups water and boil the mung beans until mashed.
3. Add sugar and constantly stir until it thickens.
4. Set aside to cool.
To Make Dough #1:
1. Mix flour and oil with your hands until it gets crumbly.
2. Divide into 4 parts.
To Make Dough #2:
1. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until smooth.
2. Divide dough into 4 parts.
3. Flatten with rolling pin to make a rectangle.
To Assemble the Hopia:
1. Sprinkle Dough 1 to Dough 2. Make sure not to mix two dough together.
2. Roll the dough.
3. Seal the ends by pinching it inwards.
4. Do the same procedure for all 4 parts.
5. Wrap each roll in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Take the logs and cut each log to 5 to 6 parts.
7. Flatten each part with a rolling pin and put the mungo filling over the middle of the dough.
8. Fold ends and pinch into a ball. Take the excess out.
9. Invert the ball (pinched end would be at the bottom) in a cookie sheet and flatten the top lightly with your palm.
10. Beat 1 egg in a bowl. Then brush the top of hopia dough with egg.
11. Bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes.
Share and enjoy with family and friends!!!