3 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp all spice powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
2 tsp dried yeast
2 tbps margarine
1 1/4 cup skim milk, warmed
2 tbsp honey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 – 1 cup of mixed dried fruit
honey to glaze
1. In a bowl, sift flour, salt, all spice powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add lemon rind and yeast.
2. Place margarine and warm milk into a large bowl and whisk until it melts. Add honey and egg and continue to whisk.
3. Blen milk mixture to flour mixture. Add dried fruits, mix until the dough becomes sticky, knead the dough into a light floured surface until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Place in a lightly floured bowl and cover with lightly oil cling wrap. Leave in a warm place for 1 hour and let it double its size.
5. Lightly spray two baking trays with oil. knock back dough and divide into 12 equal pieces and knead each piece for 1 minute before shaping it into bun. Put six buns on each tray. Cover with lightly oil cling wrap again to let it rise some more.
6. Preheat oven to 200C. Use a knife to cut a cross on each bun. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until well risen and golden.
7. Transfer to a wire rack and glaze hot cross buns by brushing a little warm clear honey on top of each buns.
Share end enjoy with family and friends!!!