For the cake:
2 1/2 cups cake flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup ube (purple yam), cooked and finely grated (you can also used ube jam)
3/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup corn syrup
7 eggs, separated (egg yolks,slightly beaten)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
6 drops of red food coloring
6 drops of blue food coloring
1 jar (12 oz) macapuno (coconut preserves)
For Butter Icing:
1 cup milk, chilled
3/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter soften
violet food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 325F or 165C. Line bottoms of 3 – 9 inch round pans with parchment paper. Do not grease.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. Place grated ube or ube jam in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla then mix until smooth. Blend in corn syrup, egg yolks and oil. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth, then set aside.
4. In a separate large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add sugar then the food coloring (red and blue), continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Fold 1/3 of the meringue mixture (egg whites) to the flour mixture, then quickly fold in the remaining egg whites mixture until no streaks remain. Pour batter into a round pan.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the center of the cake bounces back when lightly tapped. Invert pans on a wire rack and let cool upside down. When cool, run a knife around the edges to loosen cake from pans. Fill between layers with coconut preserves, then frost top and sides with butter icing.
To Make the Butter Icing:
1. Combine milk and 3/4 cup sugar. set aside. Cream butter until light and fluffy; gradually add sugar mixture, and continue beating to desired spreading consistency. Add food color, one drop at a time until desired tint is achieved.
* Don’t forget to put the coconut strings (macapuno) on top of the cake. Happy baking!
Share and enjoy with family and friends!!!
Source: All Recipes and Kusina ni Manang
6 responses to “Ube Macapuno Cake (Purple Yam Cake)”
Yummy Mommy,Know what? You got a natural knack for decorating your cakes…Wish I had that talent too!
Great looking cake, I am going to have to hunt for a purple yam, but still looks really good.
I have bookmarked this recipe to try. No wonder it sounded delicious, you got it from ManangK 🙂 You did do a great job decorating, I agree!
Medifast, thank you! You could find purple yam at any Asian stores. I was not happy with grated purple yam made in Thailand, so I prefer using purple jam instead. Happy hunting!
Jeanette, thanks so much! Actually, it's a mixture of ManangK's original recipe of Ube Cake Roll and from All Recipes. I'm glad you like it.
Manang, thank you so much! You have inspired me a lot to continue blogging about food. May God bless you more! Hihihi, still a beginner Manang, a lot of learning to do pa :-), but thanks for appreciating.