For custard recipe
3 egg yolk
55 g caster sugar
110 g whipping cream
110 g milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
100 g cake flour
3 eggs (separate egg whites and egg yolks)
100 g caster sugar
65 g milk
35 g vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder 1/4 salt 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
Preheat the oven at 350F or 180C
To make caramel:
1) Sprinkle sugar evenly into the tin, use medium heat until the sugar completely melted and the colour turn to brown. Off the heat, leave it to cool
To make custard:
1) Combine egg yolks, sugar, milk, whipping cream and vanilla essence together, hand whisk till blend.
2) To ensure the smooth texture, pour the custard mixture into strainer to get rid of lumps and bubble. Set aside.
To make chiffon cake:
1) Sift flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl, set aside
2) In another bowl, mix egg yolks, 50 g of sugar, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla essence together by hand
3) Make a well in the dry ingredient bowl, pour in no. 2) mixture, use hand whisk to blend in together, set aside
4) Using stand mixer whisk egg whites, cream of tartar and 50 g of sugar together using medium-high speed until firm peaks ( take about 2-3 minutes)
5) Add 1/3 of the foam egg white from no. 4) into 3), gently mix it by hand, then add another 1/3 of no. 4) mix well, then add the remaining no. 4) mix well by hand
6) Pour the custard to caramel baking tin.
7) Gently pour chiffon batter on the top of custard layer.
8) Water bath by using another bigger tin and add some water ~ 2 cm high, put the batter tin in the middle, put into the oven about 45-50 minutes. Timing is just a guide line, it depends on your oven.
9) Once the cake is done, remove from the oven. Unmold the cake by running small metal spatula between the side of the pan and the cake and invert the cake at once onto the plate.
For 8″ round tin with this recipe you can get the cake around 6-7 cm high
Share and enjoy with family and friends!!!
Source: Cupcake Craze