Why do you order, when you can actually do it yourself?
In a chinese takeaway, lemon chicken would costs you like 12 New Zealand dollars in just a small tub. I know, a big amount of money for a very little serving. And in fact, takeaway foods has more fatty oils than foods that is cooked at home. I know it’s quite a difficult task to cook this special dish, especially when little kids are around. You tend to cook just whatever, or just buy takeaways for dinner. But preparing something yummy like this, and to see your kids and hubby, eating with a huge smile on their faces, will wash down all the hardships you took, efforts will be well-appreciated, and you’ll end up smiling too! Everyone will be happy while eating their delish dinner and you can say goodbye to unhealthy takeaways as well.
Here is the recipe that I have tried, and it turns out soooooooo yum!
2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1″ cube)
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
pepper to taste
oil for frying
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp salt
3 slices of lemon, peeled
2 tbsp oil
yellow food coloring (optional)
1. Marinate chicken pieces into a bowl with soy sauce and salt. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. While marinating, beat the eggs, cornstarch, baking powder and pepper in a separate bowl to make the batter.
3. After 30 minutes of marination, coat the chicken with the batter.
4. Deep fry the chicken pieces in batches, until golden brown or fully cooked. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
5. To make the lemon sauce, combine sugar, cornstarch, chicken broth, lemon juice, and salt. (If using food coloring, you can add it now.) Mix well then add the peeled lemon pieces.
6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok or sauce pan, pour in the lemon sauce mixture and heat until well mixed and sauce becomes clear. Remove the lemon slices and pour in the battered chicken and mix.