700 g lean minced beef
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp plain flour
2 cups beek stock
1 carrot. peeled and cut into small dice
4 tbsp tomato sauce
pinch mixed herbs
1/2 cup peas
4 sheets of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten, for glazing
1. In a frying pan, brown the mince, using a fork or potato masher to break up the lumps. Drain off any excess liquid, add the chopped onion to the pan, then continue cooking gently until the onion is soft.
2. Add the Worcestershire sauce and flour, mix well, then stir in the stock. Add the diced carrot, tomato sauce and, herbs and a little salt and pepper, then simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peas, simmer for another 3-5 minutes, then set aside to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 200C. Grease the muffin pans. From the pastry sheets, cut out 10×12 cm circles and 10×8 cm circles. Line the larger circles into the muffin pans. To avoid waste, bring the pastry trimmings together and re-roll.
4. When the filling is cool, spoon the mince mixture into the prepared pans to three quarters full. Press it in gently and smooth over the top with the back of a spoon. Place an 8cm circle of pastry on top, pressing edges of pastry case and lid together. Roll the top edge over itself to form a little seam around the edge and crimp it together. Poke a hole in the middle of each pie to allow the steam to escape while cooking.
5. Brush pies with beaten egg, then bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until dark golden. Serve with mashed potato, green peas and tomato sauce.