Brazo de Mercedes is a popular Filipino dessert made of soft meringue filled with sweet custard.
This is one of my favourite desserts I always crave when I was little, okay you got me, yes, until now! I love the texture of the cold and soft meringue that actually melts in my mouth and the sweet taste of the custard blends well with it. To be honest, I could finish the whole roll in one sitting. That’s how good it is!
When I moved to New Zealand, I couldn’t find any Brazo de Mercedes around so I have to teach myself how to make it. I’ve failed so many times but I kept trying and finally got the hang of it. I make it any time I want ever since. You really have to try it out for yourself to experience how delicious and sweet this Brazo de Mercedes is. Alternatively, if you’re conscious about your sugar intake but still want to eat this yummy dessert, you can try my Homemade Keto Low Sugar Brazo de Mercedes.
- Make sure you use fresh eggs.
- Always line your baking tray with parchment paper so the meringue won’t stick to the tray and makes it easier for you to lift it after.
- You need to know what soft peak looks like. Start whipping the eggs in the mixer at low speed and gradually increase it to medium. Gradually add sugar one spoonfuls at a time until the meringue drops slightly when you hold the whipping attachment vertically.
- Once the meringue is cooked, dust it with powdered sugar first before flipping it to the other side.
- Use double broiler in making the custard to prevent scrambling the egg and/or burn it.
- Roll Brazo de Mercedes using parchment paper. Gently lift, tighten and adjust the roll. Refrigerate it until it’s ready to slice and serve.
10 large eggs whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
For Custard Filling:
14 ounces condensed milk
10 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons icing sugar
1. Mix the white eggs and cream of tartar until it reaches its soft peak form.
2. Gradually add the sugar until the texture is semi-firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Put wax paper on top of a cookie sheet or large rectangular baking pan and grease the surface.
5. Place the meringue on top of the greased wax paper then spread evenly using a spatula.
6. Bake the meringue for 20 minutes or until top part turns light to medium brown.
7. While baking the meringue, make the filling by combining the egg yolks and condensed milk in a small cooking pot. Continuously stir the mixture until it becomes thick.
8. Add the vanilla extract to the condensed milk and egg yolk mixture, then turn off the heat, and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
9. Remove the meringue from the oven and cool down for a few minutes.
10. Flip the meringue, the top baked meringue should now be below. Remove the baking tray and the wax paper then spread the custard filling over the meringue.
11. Roll the meringue. Make sure that the layer with filling is rolled inward.
12. Sprinkle icing sugar on top of the roll.
13. Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
14. Share and enjoy this Brazo de Mercedes with family and friends!!!
Inspired by: Panlasang Pinoy